[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop and Open Office?

Chris Wallis linux at c-tek.org
Wed Jul 2 06:41:19 GMT 2008

I can say with out a doubt there is no Linux desktops in a Federal Public
Service environment due to the lack of desktop distributions that has been
certified under Common Criteria evaluation. (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Criteria,
http://www.dsd.gov.au/infosec/evaluation_services/aisep_pages/aisep.html
and http://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/). The only distribution that has
Common Criteria certification that I know of for a Linux Distribution is
both SUSE Enterprise and RHEL. The full list of certified OS's can be
found here - http://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/products_OS.html#OS.

As for open office I am not sure about but with MS Office's new XML format
causing havoc where I work. I would not be suprize people still using old
versions of MS Office with Sun's ODF plugin installed. But surely ODF is
the way to go and not docx or what ever the MS format is?

I say would be a advantage anyhow with government information in a open
format. So you could utilize in house software to process information with
assurance that the whole ODF specification is in the public domain. (Specs
are good!)

But a tad sad that not how public service works.