[clug] Hints on where to look for using Linux to take Windows drive images (poor man's ghost)

Glen Cunningham glen at exemail.com.au
Wed Jul 2 02:42:54 GMT 2008

G'day Steve,

 Partimage is your friend <http://sourceforge.net/projects/partimage/>

> My current distro of choice is Ubuntu.
    Yep, "sudo apt-cache search partimage" shows it is available in 'buntu
but see below.

> Does anyone do this using an external USB HDD?
>
> I was thinking of booting off a Live-CD if I couldn't boot off the
> USB-HDD.

   Try ...
<http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page>  or
<http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php>
    either of these live CDs should fit on a 3" mini-CD.  There may be
USB-bootable versions, I've never bothered, but.

> Want a way to revert a Windows install easily - i.e. revert a
> partition. Sorta 'Poor Man's Ghost'.
>
> I don't know if Vista or WIn-XP might complain.

     Partimage will give a usable XP image, don't know about Vista.

<snip>

HTH,
Glen