[clug] KDE 4.0

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Sat Jan 12 23:48:02 GMT 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 09:51:39 am Chris Smart wrote:
> Sure it's bound to have some rough edges, but I assumed that as an
> official 4.0 release that it is marked as 'stable'.
4.0.0 makes the start of Binary and Source Compatibility for the KDE4 series.

It should be seen as stable in the same way that the 2.6.0 kernel was stable.

> But I guess I'll try out the latest packages and see. RC2 was a huge
> improvement over RC1, hopefully the final is the same again over RC1 :)
This is really the key. We need people to start testing it, identifying
limitations and misfeatures, and reporting bugs (http://bugs.kde.org).

Here are a couple of blog posts that are worth a look, to better situate KDE4:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/talking-bluntly.html
and http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/cashews-for-xorg.html

Brad