[clug] Linux Laptop?

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:56:22 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:06 PM, David Adams <u2552331 at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>  - Large, widescreen screen. Without net I can't get exact dimensions-
>  - Dual core processor.
>  - About 1.5gig of ram, give or take 500mb.
>  - Robust and sturdy.
>  - DVD burner would be nice, but not essential.
>  - A couple of USB ports.
>  - Decent, easy-to-type-on keyboard.
>  - No unnecessary features (floppy drives, fingerprint readers,
>  cardreaders etc).
>  - Not preloaded with Windows, but I realize this is... impossible pretty
>  much.

The T61 Thinkpad is currently on special at lenovo.com.au for $1499
(1GB, 160GB HDD) and the R61 is $999 (+$300 for 2GB, 160GB HDD and
AGN).

I have not checked myself if the T61 will work out of the box with
gutsy but know I have never had problems with any of mine (wireless,
etc). thinkwiki will know. The only Linux troubles I have ever had is
with the integrated ATI "mobility 9500" in my T42 and gutsy.  Works
fine on feisty fglrx drivers though (this is sort of pushing the
envelope though as I drive an external 21" (DVI) + external 19" (VGA)
via a docking station....).

I <heart> my thinkpad(s), great full size keyboards, great
trackpoint/3 button ergonomics.