[clug] looking for small PC

Ian Matters ian at matters.id.au
Mon Feb 25 02:22:45 GMT 2008

Hi Bob,

I recently purchased an NC-900 Mini-PC from Tekdis (http://tekdis.com.au/
).

The machine arrived promptly and I proceeded to blow away the minimum
install of Windows 2000 that was on it.  The spec turned out to be
slightly different to what I had been led to believe but it was still
quite useful.

Hard drive: setup as hdc reports as Hitachi Travelstar HTS424040M9AT00
(40GB)
RAM: 256KB total with 192MB available.  Presumably the missing 64MB is
used for graphics
CPU: VIA Nehemiah operating at 733.447 MHz

I first tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 server LTS (pre-release) followed
by Ubuntu 6.06.1 server LTS.  The installation went OK  with each but
I had problems at boot time with both of these.  I expect that it was
some sort of hardware-related issue which I didn't find in my
eagerness to prove that machine would do the intended job.

I finally settled on a Debian 4.0 r2 "Etch" Netinstall and that worked
great.

I now have it working with SSH, FTP, Apache2 (including https), Samba,
Bind9, Netatalk, Telnet, POP3, IMAP and SMTP servers running.  I
swapped from Exim4 to Postfix which is my SMTP server of preference.

The machine is totally quiet and runs comfortably warn.  The HDD
temperature reports as a little over 40C.

You should be able to see it working at:

	http://matters.homelinux.net:8080/

-- or --

	https://matters.homelinux.net:/

I have since added an 8GB CompactFlash card for weekly backups of the
system.

Cheers, Ian