[clug] ... and WiFi access in Civic

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Wed Feb 20 10:56:21 GMT 2008

Not really an issue according to this reference:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1764

    Other situations where a carrier licence is not required

There are other WLAN situations, in addition to exempt networks, where a
carrier licence is not required.  These situations include:

    * company LANs used by company employees where supply to the public
      is not involved;
    * wireless networks in an airport lounges, hotels, shopping centres
      and Internet cafes where the service is provided in a single place.

Under a determination announced by the Minister for Communications,
Information Technology and the Arts on 20 September 2002, these wireless
networks do not constitute network units.