[clug] Brother printers - very Linux friendly [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Feb 14 06:31:03 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Someone at a community group I do SysAdmin for went and bought a random
laser
printer and called me in to install it. Fearing the worst, I was
expecting a Windows
only MFD that would be a complete basket case or an up-hill battle at
best.

As it turns out, the Brother 2040 has a bunch of Linux drivers on their
web site, including
a CUPS driver in a .deb that I was able to blat onto an Ubuntu desktop
using dpkg -i. There
was also source tarballs were I so inclined.

I don't know yet how well it works as someone threw the parallel cable
out with the old
printer, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the comprehensive
support on offer.

Very pleased!

Antti

------IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------