[clug] MySQL prepared statements issue

Tim Murphy tim at murphy.org
Thu Feb 14 02:38:22 GMT 2008

Hi guys and gals,

I've come across a strange MySQL occurrence when doing prepared statements.
I'm using MySQL 5.0.45.

I run the usual syntax:

PREPARE prepared_stmt FROM "SELECT first_name FROM table WHERE id = ?";

SET @a1 = "123";

EXECUTE prepared_stmt USING @a1;

DEALLOCATE PREPARE prepared_stmt;

half of the time I get the right result, a quarter of the time I get the
error

Unknown prepared statement handler (prepared_stmt) given to DEALLOCATE
PREPARE

and the other quarter of the time I get the error

Unknown prepared statement handler (prepared_stmt) given to EXECUTE

I'm getting this pattern on two different machines.  Has anyone come across
this problem before?

TIA

Tim