[clug] And Skynet fights back.

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Mon Feb 11 11:04:32 GMT 2008

Wow.  I had a conversation with an ActewAGL DBA over a few beers back
when they'd just inherited the Transact billing system (Oracle/Redhat).
The were nervous about the Linux OS (Redhat) as they needed to perform a
kernel update to fix an issue; a very trivial task, very easy to
rollback etc.  The actual OS they were originally changing to was SCO,
to match the other Oracle systems they had, say no more...

I don't know much about Actew's IT support, but providing Windows
laptops with a very restrictive command prompt/ping policy to Transact's
core network staff doesn't strike me as particularly supportive.