[clug] Re: reviving BarCampCanberra

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 04:13:10 GMT 2008

Hi Conrad,

sponsorship wasn't ever really the issue - from memory we had promises
of $2,000.00 or more lined up last year - what killed us was the lack
of venue. We run WebBlast out of the SMS office just fine (well,
nobody has died yet from the overcrowding and overheating) but it
isn't suitable for a BarCamp - if only because of the lack of public
transport and catering issues. If the tertiary education sector
doesn't want to play again, we could possibly go to the National
Library and talk to them about their main lecture theatre, but again
this is one big room rather than multiple medium ones.

My feeling is that it will fail again this year because of the
diversity of opinion and the multiple reasons why some location won't
work for everybody - I think that we can probably guess that no
location will work for everybody, and my suggestion last year that we
run with a location that at least worked for some people was not
popular. I still maintain that half a BarCamp would be better than
none, and that we can build on even a small success.

Cheers, Andrew

On Feb 3, 2008 9:33 AM, Conrad Canterford
<conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 13:49 +1100, Simon Pascal Klein wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 19:56 +1100, Stephen Collins wrote:
> > Thanks for the offer. Hopefully we'll get sponsorship. I might poke Evan
> > about possibly contributing also.
>
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.
>
> Water Sprite can put up $50 in sponsorship, if you're still looking. I'd
> love to do more, but the company's not actually making money, so this
> will be coming out of my pocket :-).
>
> Conrad.
> www.watersprite.net.au
>

> --