[clug] Local NTP server?

Glen Cunningham glen at exemail.com.au
Tue Dec 23 23:26:33 GMT 2008

G'day Chris,

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 09:28, Chris Smart wrote:
<snip>

> Sure.. the whole network is completely isolated from the Internet so
> I'll have to use my trusted memory stick.
>
> Essentially I want to tell server to look to itself for the time.
> Then I want it to broadcast it's time to the network. Then I want
> clients on the network to broadcast the fact that they are clients,
> pick up the server's time broadcast and update their time.
</snip>

    Sorry to come in so late, but I only just woke up to what you are
trying to do - at my age, instant recall can sometimes take a day or so
to kick in   :-)
    Have you considered Chrony?
<http://chrony.sunsite.dk/index.php>  It will give you a fairly accurate
local ntp server.  It is designed for 'isolated' and rarely connected
networks.

Cheers,
Glen