[clug] Local NTP server?

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 06:43:35 GMT 2008

> OK, I tried openntpd on the server:
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge ntp  && sudo apt-get install openntpd

Ah, good good.. :)

> Then I edited /etc/default/openntpd and uncommented the '-s' option, told it
> to listen on all interfaces and restarted the deamon.
> netstat shows that ntpd is listening and ps shows that it's running (two
> instances, one as root, one as ntpd). As an aside, when I add the -s it does
> take an awefully long time to start, but without -s it's almost
> instantaneous.

Yup, with the -s it will sync to a server and then _set_ the time
irrespective.  I generally dont set the -s option on a machine unless
it has a known wobbly clock.

> OK, onto the client now:
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge ntp
> sudo ntpdate 192.168.20.40

openntpd doesn't like to play games as a server unless it itself is in
sync first, monitor the syslog for a bit and when it is happy then try
to sync a client.

In my case I generally get the "master" machine working all hunky-dory
(can take a few hours to sync up unless I play games with rdate on
boot) and then start pointing clients at it.  You should also have
something like:

   listen on 192.168.20.40

in /etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf on the server.

And then

   server 192.168.20.40

on the clients, although I reckon you have done this already... :)

Once I have my master working nicely by cfengine install script that
"mashes" a machine into shape upon first boot after an automated
install on "my" network first calls rdate and then installs openntpd.