[clug] Local NTP server?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Dec 23 05:53:44 GMT 2008

2008/12/23 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>

>   Again, to harp on... if you use openntpd just add the -s option

  to /etc/default/openntpd :)

OK, I tried openntpd on the server:

sudo apt-get remove --purge ntp  && sudo apt-get install openntpd

Then I edited /etc/default/openntpd and uncommented the '-s' option, told it
to listen on all interfaces and restarted the deamon.
netstat shows that ntpd is listening and ps shows that it's running (two
instances, one as root, one as ntpd). As an aside, when I add the -s it does
take an awefully long time to start, but without -s it's almost
instantaneous.

OK, onto the client now:

sudo apt-get remove --purge ntp
sudo ntpdate 192.168.20.40
No joy

ntpdate-debian 192.168.20.40
does not error, but nothing changes. I tried with and without -s.

Next, install openntpd on the client, hoping I can sync to the other openntp
server
sudo apt-get install openntpd

I edited the -s option and restarted. Still nothing. Log showed the deamons
starting and stopping, but nothing else.

Maybe there's something more funky going on here. I noticed in tcpdump that
some upd packets were corrupt. Perhaps that is breaking things? (Although I
think the problem is most likely me.)

I'm gonna try at home and see if it (or just anything) works there.

-c