[clug] Local NTP server?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Mon Dec 22 22:28:15 GMT 2008

2008/12/22 Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net>

> I don't find the 'old' ntpd to be that much of a problem, myself, but then
> I've been getting it to work around the place for nigh on ten years now.
>
> The basic configuration you need is in a couple of lines:
>
> - -8<--------------
>
> server 0.fedora.pool.ntp.org dynamic
> server 1.fedora.pool.ntp.org dynamic
> server 2.fedora.pool.ntp.org dynamic
>
> server dumont
> peer media
>
> - -8<--------------

Ok, I didn't set peer anything. There are bunches of restrict options
though..

> This tells me that it's going to treat three (randomly selected) machines
> in
> the pool.ntp.org domain and my local machine 'dumont' as servers and my
> MythTV
> machine 'media' as a peer.
>
> Chris, I assume from the fact that you've been watching the network that
> the
> appropriate holes are open in the firewalls on the machine.  Normally NTP
> happens via UDP.

Yeah that's all fine. I can see the packets and ntp communication happening.
They even discuss their times and say, "boy you're 5 minutes ahead of me,
server" but it the daemon doesn't then update the clock. I'm assuming it's a
configuration issue somewhere, but I've no idea where.

> Can you put your current configuration somewhere web-accessible so I can
> have
> a look at it?

Sure.. the whole network is completely isolated from the Internet so I'll
have to use my trusted memory stick.

Essentially I want to tell server to look to itself for the time. Then I
want it to broadcast it's time to the network. Then I want clients on the
network to broadcast the fact that they are clients, pick up the server's
time broadcast and update their time.

Sounds simple enough but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

-c