[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Mon Dec 22 21:50:29 GMT 2008

You don't say whether this PC has ever worked for you.  Is it an acquired unit
of unknown status ?

P4 can require > 12 A @ 12 V.  Check that the PS has at least this rating.
Disconnecting all drives might assist initially.  Also disconnect all IDE
cables - some mobo will fail to power up if these are connected wrongly.

Brief, transient power up can be an indicator of inadequate PS or of a short
from mobo to case somewhere.

Rod