[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

Duncan Bolt Duncan.Bolt at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 23:39:31 GMT 2008

Hi,

If it is that dead then I would open the case and have a quick look at
the motherboard.

Most of the old Pentium 4s I worked with died for one of two reasons.

Cheap Motherboard capacitors that had leaked, and boiled over. There
seemed to be a batch with a dodgy electrolyte fluid. Check the top of
the capacitors normally they have flat tops but when they died they
bulged upwards.

If it is not that then my next guess would be the power supply. Of
course it is also possible that a cable or something has worked loose.
eg RAM

Duncan