[clug] Suse

keith sayers keiths at apex.net.au
Wed Dec 17 05:48:07 GMT 2008

	I have recently upgraded from Suse10.3 to Suse11 and encountered several
problems along the way, two of which are still with me.

	When I open Kinternet I get an error message ¨Connection to local and remote
server refused.  Maybe smpppd is not running or you are not member of the
group ¨dialout¨.  Also check the server settings in the dialog ¨Various
Settings¨.

	I found from experimentation that if I go to Konsole, to superuser,  there
enter smpppd and then drop it to the bottom bar so that it is running but not
obtrusive, then Kinternet will open successfully.  What, please, is smpppd?
And is there any way of setting Kinternet to open it itself?

	The other problem is in Firefox which will not open, I get an error message
(deep breath) : XML Parsing Error : undefined entity
	Location : chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
	Line Number 187, Column 5:
	<key id=¨Key_errorConsole¨ key=¨&errorConsoleCmd. command key;¨
oncommand=¨toJavaScriptConsole();"modifers=accel,shift¨/>----^

	Richard Levingston came round and after much searching found a browser.xul
file interred within a bigger file, but it was only a two-liner, nowhere near
187 lines.

	Would anybody recognise that, please, and suggest where I might find another
browser.xul file?  I am a user rather than a programmer but could probably
edit a file if I could be pointed at the right one.

	Thank you!  :-)=