[clug] Don't ask where I got this from

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:36:06 GMT 2008

2008/12/12 Dale Baldwin <project2357 at gmail.com>

> This is interesting and mostly a load of crap.

Ahhh yes, but it's crap that poses (quite successfully, I might add) as
'facts'. They are 'clarifying information' that has been distributed by
those lying 'internet and porn industry' supporters. Who, as we all know,
are a small but vocal group of deviant left-wingers who all want the porn
industry to thrive and survive because they 'make money from the material
the Government is seeking to block'. And don't let's forget that
'mischievous GetUp organisation'!

It scares me (but does not surprise me in the slightest) that these emails
are doing the rounds of campaigns such as the Australian Christian Lobby.
Although perhaps I should be more scared about the fact that people believe
this nonsense.

I think there's quite enough opposition to the idea that it won't get
through parliament at this stage, although it's going to be interesting to
see how long Conroy will continue to push this barrow before he drops it
like a hot potato. My bet is that he'll use the trials to back out of it.
Perhaps I should open a book? ;)

So yes, kind of scary to read, but not potentially a big problem, IMHO.
Thanks for sharing it Dale, I found it fascinating.

Lana

> [...]
> blocked averaged over 92%, a significant improvement on the 2005 trial.
> Over-blocking (preventing access to acceptable material) was, in most
> cases,
> less than three per cent - an improvement on the previous trial in 2005.
> This bodes well for cleaning up the internet feed to Australian families.
>
> Filtering will destroy internet speed
> Slowdowns dropped considerably since the first trial in 2005. One filter
> product slowed internet performance by less than two per cent, three
> products slowed it by less than 30 per cent. ACMA terms this 'moderate or
> nearly nil performance degradation'. Nonetheless, two products performed
> badly, degrading performance by more than 75 per cent. The porn and
> internet
> industries, which make money from the material the Government is seeking to
> block, always quote the high end figure. Given that technology is improving
> rapidly, it is unlikely that the introduction of filters will make a
> significant difference to internet performance. Even if there is a
> temporary
> very small drop in speed, this is a small price to pay for protecting
> children and women.
>
> Filtering will lead to 'China-style' censorship
> This is a red herring. China, and other countries which censor the net, do
> not have Parliamentary democracy. Our politicians can scrutinise ACMA and
> any blacklists to ensure free speech is not impeded by the plan to block
> porn. Importantly, adults who still wish to view legal forms of porn, can
> 'opt in' to view this. In effect, no one is being stopped from viewing
> anything legal.
>
> The misinformation being spread by the porn trade, sections of the internet
> industry and by the mischievous GetUp organisation risks eroding the will
> of
> politicians to act to clean up the internet. ISP filtering is a Government
> election promise, which was re-stated in Labor's response to ACL's election
> questionnaire. Please click here
> <http://createsend.showtheworld.com.au/t/r/l/ykuiyd/uytjjjw/j> .
>
> We are grateful for the hundreds of ACL Supporters who have already
> e-mailed
> politicians through our Make a Stand campaign, Keep IT clean! If you
> haven't
> joined this campaign, please do so now. The internet and sex industries are
> not only alarmist and misleading in their reaction to this Government
> initiative, but well organised and funded. Only a strong public response
> will ensure the Government keeps its resolve.
>
> If you click here
> <http://createsend.showtheworld.com.au/t/r/l/ykuiyd/uytjjjw/t>   to go to
> the campaign and then type in your postcode your local Member and Senators
> will appear so that you can send them an e-mail urging them to support
> filtering. Please take action today and please forward this e-mail to your

Cheers! Lana

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious, nor will I
consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.
-- Sydney Smith

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.