[clug] Seminar on Green ICT open source education, ANU, 4pm Thursday, 11 December

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Dec 10 06:00:31 GMT 2008

All are invited to a free seminar on "Educating ICT Professionals on
Green ICT" at the Department of Computer Science, Australian National
University 4pm Thursday, 11 December 2008
<http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/showone.pl?SID=764>. No need to
RSVP, just turn up.

I will be talking about some sustainable ICT courses available in
Australia and in particular the e-learning course I have designed for
the Australian Computer Society. This is mostly about energy saving
technology to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from, and by using,
computers and telecommunications, but also includes a bit on
materials use and recycling.

The notes and slides for the seminar are available for those who
can't make it, or want to study up in advance to ask me difficult
questions:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/ict_sustainability_education/>.

The course content is mostly free open source and the draft is on my
web site for people to comment on and use
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/course/view.php?id=11>. I have proposed a
version of the course be run for masters students at ANU in second
semester 2009 and invited other universities to collaborate.

The ACS version of the course is now open for enrollments as part of
the Computer Professional Education Program. This is the first
training program accredited globally by the International Federation
for Information Processing (IFIP):
<http://www.itweb.co.za/office/cssa/0809120811.htm> and is
articulated by some Australian universities
<http://www.acs.org.au/cpeprogram/index.cfm?action=show&conID=articulation>.

ps: Notes and a video from the Green ICT Symposium held at the ANU on
14th November 2008 are available at:
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/course/view.php?id=10>. Also thanks to
Senator Lundy and Bob Edwards for help with the event.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University