[clug] Internet Censorship Protest, City walk 12pm saturday

Dale Baldwin chime at tpg.com.au
Tue Dec 9 12:33:26 GMT 2008

I don't think I have seen a message about this yet so I'm going to post
it all here. For those who may have seen info about this already please
note the change of location. The protest will now be at City Walk
instead of Garema place. There was a facebook message floating around
about it but that so far is only a group of 150 people. Oh and I'm not
organising this I'm just passing this on so feel free to cut and paste
and go nuts.

Dale

    /"//The system that Senator Conroy wants is a mandatory filter of
    all internet traffic, with the government of the day able to add any
    unwanted site to a secret blacklist. Already, the wrangling has
    begun for the inclusion of material relating to anorexia, euthanasia
    and gambling. It isn’t difficult to see the scheme is open to abuse./

    /Even when it comes to preventing child p-rnography, the filter will
    not prevent peer-to-peer sharing and is very simple to sidestep. The
    protection of our children is vitally important - that’s why we
    can’t afford to waste funds on this deeply flawed system. We should
    be concentrating on solutions that are more effective and won’t
    undermine our digital economy nor our democratic freedoms."/

    - http://www.geekgirl.com.au/blog/?p=1493

Please forward this information to any/all people you think may be
interested so that they can know about the protest that's happening in
their state capital. Regardless of whether you decide to attend the
protest this saturday, I highly encourage you to* sign the petition*
hosted by Getup!
http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/SaveTheNet/442

*Saturday, 13 December...*

*Adelaide
*12 Noon @ Parliament House

*Brisbane
*11am @ Brisbane Square
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=42526399601

*
*Canberra
*12 Noon @ City Walk, Civic
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=38717743533

*Hobart
*11am @ Parliament Lawns
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=39329861995

Melbourne
*12 Noon @ State Library
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=46838735931

*
*Perth
*12 Noon @ Stirling Gardens
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=42526399601

Sydney
*11am @ Town Hall
http://www.nocensorship.info/forum
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49916537640

If you'd like to learn more about the firewall, here are some articles
you can read:

*Australian firewall trials start*
BBC

*Chinese firewall could be erected in Australia*
Amnesty International
http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/19915/P20/

*Internet censorship in Australia*
Wikipedia