[clug] Internet Censorship - Advice?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Dec 4 10:04:01 GMT 2008

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> Why is the Government wasting time trying to implement mandatory
> filtering, when those people who want to avoid accidentally being
> exposed to this material can opt to subscribe to an ISP participating in
> the industry-supported Family Friendly ISP programme[1]?

Because for some people it's not good enough to protect themselves, or
ensure others are able to protect themselves. Some people need to force
protection on you too, even if you don't want to be protected. Especially
if you've already been corrupted, and not wanting protection is prima
facie evidence of corruption. You don't know the moral danger you're in!

> The only other countries that have mandatory filtering are:
>  - China
>  - Iran
>  - Singapore (a token list of 100 sites just to show that the Government
> has power to do so)

Err... I think you missed a few. Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt
just off the top of my head. Myanmar? I'm sure there's more, not that it
really matters. None of the places mentioned so far are good examples of
liberal democracies, although some of them pretend to be.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au