[clug] Internet Censorship - Advice?

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Dec 3 23:25:34 GMT 2008

Michael Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:45 PM, David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au> wrote:
>
>> My understanding was that the filter would be implemented by each ISP in
>> each ISP.  I haven't heard any plan to route all the traffic through one
>> country wide point.
>>

> That is true - I imagine all ISPs would have to draw 'blocked list' updates
> from somewhere though. Unless the whole network was designed carefully that
> could be a single point of failure. Why crack each ISP when you can just
> crack that point & add *.* :-)

Even if that did happen I'm sure every major ISP would realise within a
minute or two and handle the problem rapidly.

The original email talked about all communication being disrupted,
including civil aviation.  The proposal as far as I have seen is for a
decentralised HTTP filter.  Not email, not any other traffic and not
whatever system the traffic controllers use to talk to each other.

I think we have to be careful to keep our arguments well grounded and
not fly off with odd little ideas that would be better placed in a movie
script.  Once you throw in one outlandish or obviously bogus idea all of
your legitimate points suddenly lose merit.

What's worse, if I raise some issues that cause someone to reconsider
their position and someone comes through and says "Yes it's bad,
crackers can make planes crash."  Suddenly anything I said is irrelevant.

This is exactly what the government has been doing to avoid answering
the criticism of the scheme.  By attacking some of the more outlandish
objections they have been able to dodge any of the more coherent points.

There are more than enough legitimate things wrong with this proposal,
we don't have to make any up.

David