[clug] Internode and Billion 7401VGP-M

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Dec 2 10:47:29 GMT 2008

2008/12/2 Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com>

> Has anyone used one of these and can offer comments? Are there better
> choices out there? Are there better places to buy the router than
> through Internode? I do note that the online prices for the Billion
> are up to $20 less than Internode's $199 but after delivery etc it may
> not matter. I have not used any Billion product. Is their build
> quality and reliability up to scratch?

I have Internode ADSL1 at home with Nodephone 2, using Billion 7404VGP-M
that I bought from the computer fair about $100 cheaper than from Internode.
Works perfectly, though you don't need the build in POTS support (hence the
7401, I assume). Good thing about using models that they approve is that
Support will help you, plus you can use their config files for easy
configuration.

As for VOIP quality, it's brilliant. Internode have dedicated QoS hardware
all the way from you to the Internet. Plus Internode kick ass :)

I'd recommend using Nodephone 2 on Internode's Naked ADSL2+ Extreme with
7401 purchased from the Computer fair with the latest firmware and
Internode's provided config file.

-c