[clug] Linux routing problem - two interfaces on same media segment, one seems isolated

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Aug 24 09:17:51 GMT 2008

steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote on 24/8/08 1:33 PM:

[...]

>> Sure: either pull one of the physical cards, so you only have a single
>> card per physical segment, or use bonding so that the cards can both
>> function as if they were a single physical card for the segment.
>
> I want to put the private and public IP networks on separate switches
> "air gapped" in fact.

If the two physical network cards are connected to physically distinct
network segments (eg: they are the *only* connection between the two
Ethernet segments) then you shouldn't have any real trouble.

I thought that you had both connected to the one physical segment; is
that the case?  If not, my misunderstanding has led to bad advice.

> Don't care about improving performance or redundancy :-)

That makes life easier, then.  Bonding is a touch challenging because
you really need the switch to talk the same protocol as the host...

Most do, but it can sometimes be a pain to get things working.

Regards,
        Daniel