[clug] EeePC - back it up!

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 05:51:06 GMT 2008

Thanks for the various responses to my little dilemma, which is now
solved. But, please, do back up your EeePC if you have anything you
care about on it - if it does brick, getting the data off of it will
be hugely harder than doing the same with a harddisk based machine.

So, the advice I got was to boot off an external device. The problem,
however, as stated, wasn't with the boot device, but with the machine
not being able to stay on for more than up to about 30 seconds.

This machine stays on 24x7 and holds important key information for
systems we administer (it is not anywhere near a public network). And
I hadn't backed up its encrypted filesystem with the database on it
for a couple of weeks.

The problem (now I am really embarrassed): the wall-wart power supply
has a dicky little adaptor to allow it to be plugged into an Aussie
power outlet (I like calling them power points, but apparently some
large multi-national corporation has trademarked that word!). The little
adaptor had come ever so slightly loose and so my little EeePC wasn't
getting its recommended daily allowance of joules. Alas, it took me
several hours and at least one complete disassemble/reassemble to notice
that the little orange "battery charging" light wasn't coming on when I
was attempting to power it back up. :-(

Problem solved happily now (and the backups are happening again!).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.