[clug] Dual-ported disks - or accessing disks from 2 systems

David david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Aug 14 01:24:55 GMT 2008

Andrew Janke wrote:
> 2008/8/14 steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>:
>> I'd like to be able to access a disk from two different systems,
>> /cheaply/.  Anyone done this or seen it done?
>
> At the risk of sounding trite, why not just one of these cheap LAN
> disk (NAS) systems?
>
>    http://www.pricepoint.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=15851
>
> Cheap. accessible.

It depends on what you are looking for and how you value your time.

The product that you link to is 500G of capacity wired in raid 1 and at
$430 I wouldn't call it cheap.

It's probably quick to set up though and if 500G is enough to tide you
over for six to twelve months the next one you buy will be at least
double the size and you could proceed that way.

A better comparison would be the Thecus N4100+, which is the same
manufacturer but a four drive product that can run RAID 5.  I found one
for about $450 AU (diskless) which compares to James Solomos' price of
$350 or a very low spec computer at $150.  The computer would have more
capability and more room for repairs and upgrades, the magic box would
probably be faster and easier to install.

David