[clug] Dual-ported disks - or accessing disks from 2 systems

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Wed Aug 13 22:56:07 GMT 2008

steve jenkin wrote:
> I'd like to be able to access a disk from two different systems,
> /cheaply/.  Anyone done this or seen it done?

There is a run through on the Oracle web site of how to setup a cheap
RAC (Real Application Cluster) using a few linux boxes and an external
firewire enclosure.  This actually does allow for simultaneous access,
although in the run through they are using OCFS (Oracle Cluster File
System) to do that.  Not all firewire enclosures can do it though.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/hunter_rac10gr2.html
Haven't actually tried it yet but it looks pretty straightforward.  I
don't think there is anything about the multi-system access that is
Oracle specific.