[clug] advice on drives for raid

Nemo wombat at nemo.house.cx
Wed Aug 13 15:40:23 GMT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:00:03 +1000
"Andrew Janke" <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/13 Nemo <clug at nemo.house.cx>:
> >
> > I'm in the process of building up a new machine to be the personal
> > file server I need it to be - and I'm thinking of going down the
> > "multiple 1TB drives in a raid5" configuration.
> >
> > At first glance the idea is 4x 1TB drives, with 900GB of each in
> > raid5 for roughly 2.7TB shared space, the remaining 100gb to be
> > split between system space, and more paranoid raid1 /home
> > and /backup spaces.
>
> Hi Nemo,
>
> I have done this many many times as a cheap backup/sync alternative to
> tapes in various places about the traps. Given the price of 1TB drives
> as of late it is insanely cheap storage.  And if you play with LVM/SW
> raid then you are reasonably protected. In our case we just build two
> identical systems, put them in geographically distant places and sync
> to both.  The recipe:

<snip>

That looks like a nice setup, but space is a concern for me, which is
why the (generic) 2RU box is what I'm very strongly aiming to use. It
sits nice and discretely at the top of my rack and so stays out of the
way :)

I've reviewed my existing hardware, and I'm increasingly thinking my
backup will be a couple of external USB disks (existing largish disks)
which I can rotate to remote locations :)

Most of the 2.7TB shared data doesn't require backing up (as it will be
backup of existing DVD/CD media itself, so I can just rerip if needed)

.../Nemo