[clug] Printer recommendations [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ranner, Frank MR Frank.Ranner at defence.gov.au
Tue Aug 5 02:45:48 GMT 2008

UNCLASSIFIED

org] On Behalf Of Pilcher, Fred
> Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2008 08:41
> To: CLUG List
> Subject: [clug] Printer recommendations
>
> Can anyone recomend an inexpensive laser printer that'll "just work"?
> I've given up trying to get my friend's Canon LBP3000 working under
> Linux.
>
> Ta,
>
> Fred

> ---------
> This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also
> privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission
> along with any attachments immediately. You should not copy
> or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any
> other person.

My criteria for a laser printer was:

1. Networked
2. Duplex print capable
3. Postscript Support
4. Low power so I don't need to switch it off
5. Monochrome
6. Straight through print path for transparency or thick stock

Several printers met the reqs, I chose the Dell 1720dn. It's performed
well, was easy to set up apart from a bit of a rigmarole getting the ppd
file, which was compressed in a cab file. Initially I stuffed around
trying to set it up using the buttons and light codes until I realised
that the thing had gotten an IP address from my router and was
accessible using firefox. After that it was a cinch to set up. I can't
recall the exact price - I waited until it was on special offer for $330
or so.

Of course, if you don't need network or duplex you can go much cheaper.

Hope this helps ...

Frank Ranner