[clug] grub boot problems (linux Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5, Item 9)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:03:23 GMT 2008

Paul,
	Just to be a smart-alec: GRUB's not Linux - got nothing to do with
kernels other than locating and loading them (Could be Windows or
something else).
	But onto something possibly useful:

> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:42:14 +1000
> From: Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au>
> hd2,0 doesn't work either..
> The next weird thing is that
>
> the current menu.lst
> has root (hd0,2) and that boots the old disk which is /dev/sdb
>
>   cat /boot/grub/device.map
> (hd0)   /dev/sda
> (hd1)   /dev/sdb
> (hd2)   /dev/sdc
>

> so I'm really confused it seems its device.map is not what is used.

	Correct, device.map really doesn't mean much (probably generated
before your new drive moved-in). Your best bet is to run grub
interactively and use "beacon" files and the "locate" function (Might
be "find", not sure of the terminology). e.g.: in a shell type "%
touch /mnt/fsroot/DISK_ONE" (or somesuch - fill in the blanks), then
in grub "find /DISK_ONE" (or "locate" or whatever). Then do the root/
setup grub commands from there.
	You might have to do similar fs-location madness to find your Linux
root partition also for the boot.lst, or whatever the config files'
called again.
	Sorry, I'm a bit fuzzy on this right now, but using grub to actually
locate partitions interactively is the takeaway.

Good luck!

M0les.