[clug] bash history > syslog working :)

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:02:35 GMT 2008

Hi Ron,
  I dont know if this is what you are looking for but its easy to send
anything to syslog using the logger program:

1) First you make a pipe

mkdir /tmp/somename p

2) Then you read from the pipe and send to syslog

tail -f /tmp/somename | logger

3) Then you get bash to write the /tmp/somename as a history (either
by setting env variable or symlink ~/.bash_history to /tmp/somename

Couple of problems though - the history only gets written when you
exit the shell, and the second problem is that you cant tell which
shell wrote what message.

A better approach will be to use one of the modified bash binaries for
this purpose - search on honey net for such modified bash binaries
since they are used in honeynets a lot.

Michael.