[clug] How do I keep a persistent X session

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Sep 29 11:00:58 GMT 2007

Rob Weir wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2007, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> My WS is hibernating when not in use, and as such the X session is killed
>> each time. I want the session to survive the off/on process.
>
> xmove(1)?
>
> -rob

Thanks.

This seems to be the way to go, however right now I have a problem with
xmove - Debian, xmove Version: 2.0beta2-7.

I configured gdm to start an X server (Terminal) on e4:2, then told xdm
on e7 to manage e4:2 as foreign. This works fine but is not persistent.

However, if I start xmove for e4:2 on e7:2 and tell xdm to manage e7:2
then it starts some programs but the WM (fvwm2) fails soon. I also get
the following errors (which I could not resolve) when the WM starts:

XMove 2.0 ready.
xmove: visual and pixmapformat mapped depths don't match: 24 != 8
xmove may be unstable
xmove: visual and pixmapformat mapped depths don't match: 24 != 8
xmove may be unstable
xmove: visual and pixmapformat mapped depths don't match: 24 != 8
xmove may be unstable

twm seems to work OK, but I really prefer fvwm.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)