[clug] Fwd: [LINK] Software Freedom Law Center files first US GPL infringement suit

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Tue Sep 25 00:27:58 GMT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 08:45:46PM +1000, Michael Cohen wrote:
> Would you suggest then that all linux software must be releasable under
> the GPL? e.g. skype, google earth, vmware and the list goes on? These
> are all applications running on a linux distribution, just like the
> defendants software was using busybox to build their own distribution.
I would like that, but it is not required.  A distribution is different
from a program, or collection of programs (usually called a package).

Skype etc use Linux and libraries.  There are specific exceptions in the
GPL around the operating system and the "system libraries".

> Yes - but the software in this case is busybox. The vendors might be
> using busybox just like debian is using bash. They may just release the
> source for busybox and are not forced to release the source for their
> application which is different - and not related or derived from
> busybox.
Exactly, they could do this very thing.  I just cannot understand why
they won't.

--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au