[clug] RE: Hard drive wanted [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Sep 24 05:18:02 GMT 2007

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 24/09/2007, at 04:56 , Michael Still wrote:
>
>> And always automate!
>
>> ... don't [get] noticed because I don't read email from cron.
>
> You *could* automate that, and have your mail reader automatically
> "file" cron informational messages, while flagging the unusual cron
> messages to be read by a human.
>
> The next part is to automate the checking of emails to notify you if a
> regularly scheduled message has not arrived.

Oh, for sure. Its more that I feel I've hit the point of diminishing
returns for now. One day when I'm bored I'll do some fancy monitoring.
In fact, I should export values using SNMP so I can have MRTG graphs of
backup age [1].

Mikal

1: Or whatever open source monitoring thingie the cool kids use these days.