[clug] RE: Hard drive wanted [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sun Sep 23 09:42:49 GMT 2007

NEVER rely on a single backup!

My strategy is multiple rotated HDDs
I have a number of HDD that sit on the shelf or offsite.
I backup alternately to each one so if there is a double failure I only
loose a little bit.

Also test your backups.  I do this with the the Linux server by swapping
the backup with the real volume after it is copied.  That way all drives
are exercised and I really have confidence in the backup because it is
running or was the previous running disk.

Once u have a backup strategy that works it's amazing how little pain
disk failures cause.

Neil Pickford