[clug] Re: Hard drive wanted (fiddleheadfern)

Sakari Mattila smattila at tpg.com.au
Sat Sep 22 20:14:48 GMT 2007

A lesson from similar experiences with hardware is, that
"Thou shall not run the back-up hard disks from the same
power supplies." Each of the three (computer, backup 1,
backup2) should have independent PSUs, preferably
independent UPSes. PSUs fail, sometimes producing
overvoltages  and destroying all hardware running off the
PSU.  According to textbooks and electronics designers,
this can not happen, but in rude real life it happens.
Fairly inexpensive Ethernet-connected (without power over
Ethernet) file server boxes are OK, but USB-, IEEE-1394 or
SATA-connected are no good. Why ? USB takes +5 V,
IEEE-1394 +12 V and SATA +3.3 V, +5 V and +12 V from
the device it is connected to. BTW. All these should be
unmounted before disconnecting, ie. the "Safe to remove
hardware" in Windows.

Sakari Mattila
+61 408 533474 (SMS)
smattila @ tpg.com.au