[clug] RE: Hard drive wanted [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sat Sep 22 03:50:23 GMT 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> My favourite backup strategy is:
> 1) mount external USB drive
> 2) clone internal hard disk to external drive
> 3) send USB drive to safe place (my brother's)
>
> Of course, at $500 a hit, I can't afford much redundancy :\  The two I have
> should be enough to save me from failure of a single drive in a fortnight
> (during which time I can try to scrounge the replacement funds from
> somewhere).

I tend to tear apart my previous RAID arrays and use the disks in them to
back up the current RAID.  Plug one into a spare machine, encrypt stuff
onto them, take off-site.  I'm currently rotating 3 disks in this manner.

It's all pretty quick and painless, which means that it gets done.

> Just make sure you keep track of which version is the latest. I've been

I scribble the date-made on the padded boxes :)

> The attraction of one central repository is the easy of maintenance, but the
> downside is the ease with which you can lose everything.

Ah, but git is /decentralised/ :)

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.