[clug] Re: pay for software (was Bluetooth mice)

Richard Reynolds richard.reynolds at usa.net
Sat Sep 22 00:37:22 GMT 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Hugh Fisher wrote:

> Paul Wayper wrote:
>>
>> I would, however, like to have a way to browse the phone's contents on
>> Linux that is anywhere as neat and useful as having it appear in the
>> Windows Explorer directory tree in full subfolder-y glory.  I'd also pay
>> money to have a Linux program that can edit the phone's contact list. But
>> we're getting there.
>
> As a thought experiment, how much would you be willing to pay? I'm
> often told that the GPL/free software doesn't stop people being
> paid for software, so let's try this as a test case. How many hours
> of development would you be willing to fund, say at $25/hour?

If were going to put a value to this lets compare things, windows does this
fairly out of the box, so a basic windows license for a new computer runs about
$200 now to get good scheduling, contact lists you will need office or at least
outlook alone which runs about 100, so $300 for software thats free, or close to
compete with software thats not free. sounds to me like its worth is somewhere
under $300 ???? am I missing something? so can anyone hack this out in 12
hours???

That sounds fair to me???? any other ideas?

Richard Reynolds
richard.reynolds at usa.net