[clug] RE: Hard drive wanted [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

fiddleheadfern notwhoiam at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:24:04 GMT 2007

Alex wrote:
>  It's amazing how many people suddenly start thinking about a backup
> strategy *after* they've lost some critical data.

Actually, I've been really good about following a regular & detailed backup
protocol. Unfortunately though, the Seagate external drive was my PRIMARY
backup location, meaning that it was where I'd stored all of the most recent
& _complete_ images/wizards AND the recovery files (bad!) for my local
drive. To make matters worse, I'd JUST moved a TON of files (all my photos,
installation files, etc) onto it _temporarily_ while I was replacing a
faulty HD in my laptop. And yes, like a good little techie, I saved other
copies/images of my files elsewhere - but since I didn't have any other
large empty storage drives & didn't want to use up dozens of dvd's, I was
only able to make duplicate copies of _some_ of My Docs & of only the most
critical installation/settings files... meaning that, now that the Seagate
doesn't work, I don't have any accessible copies of every program, of my
large (mostly media) folders, and certainly not of the 175gb of research
data+results I'd saved to the dead drive.

So the take-home message here folks, isn't that it's important to have (&
actually follow) a backup strategy, it's that you have a BACKUP backup
strategy!! From now on I'm saving an image of my install+settings on one cd
& a rescue disk on another; I'll copy a primary (& complete) backup to one
external daily and a secondary (complete!) one on another external weekly;
I'll stash copies of as much as possible on another network comp, make
better use of my gmail 'drive', and maybe update my most crucial thesis
files to a flash drive every day too, just to be sure.
Sigh.