[clug] Hard drive wanted

fiddleheadfern notwhoiam at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 03:25:54 GMT 2007

Oh wow. What a coincidence! I'm in EXACTLY the same position as Fred's
colleague except that my graduate thesis was on the dead drive!!! In fact,
I'm even looking for EXACTLY the same model & part as Fred is, albeit with a
different firmware and date code range.
If anyone out there (especially you, Paul) has a drive that fits the bill,
PLEASE let me know! If you do, I'd happily do whichever you'd prefer: (1)
Borrow the circuit board long enough for my genius technician to swap it
onto my dead drive, retrieve my uber-important files, and then swap it back
unharmed (guaranteed!); (2) Buy the drive off of you for the going online
rate + S&H; or (3) Buy you a brand new ST3250823A drive instead. Whichever
you'd prefer. I just REALLY need to find a matching drive before my advisor
asks to see my results....

Here are the drive specs I'm looking for (most of which are a repeat of
Fred's):
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.8
Device Model:     ST3250823A
Serial Number:    5ND08JK1   ---> I don't think this has to be an exact
match (?)
Firmware Version:    3.03   ---> Note that this is different to the one Fred
needs
Date Code:    05421   ---> Note: Seagate tech support said that I should be
looking for a code that's within about a month of this
User Capacity:    250gb (more or less)

Apparently getting a drive with a matching firmware & date code is vital to
a successful data retrieval, so I'm *really* hoping that one of you guys has
a matching drive that I could borrow or buy. Thx.