[clug] Re: Software Feedom Day [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Sep 18 11:50:12 GMT 2007

Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu found all the drives, and all about them.  It just didn't
> bother to let me in on the secret until I made the effort do a little
> speleology.

Okay, I misunderstood your comment then. Sorry.

The Debian installer has an explicit step for organising, partitioning
and formatting disks. It lists all the disks it found, what filesystem
is already on them, and asks where you want them mounted. It's all
click-and-drool and pretty easy to use.

What hasn't been done (as far as I know) is the dynamic system mentioned
in later messages, whereby all disks are detected and mounted each boot.
I think the closest thing to it is using automount to automatically
mount CDs, DVDs, USB disks and floppies (if you've still got one) when
inserted. That approach isn't really suitable for internal drives that
aren't hot-swapped though.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au