[clug] Re: Software Feedom Day - Linux problem-solving guide [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

jrc jrc at anbg.gov.au
Mon Sep 17 04:27:42 GMT 2007

http://tinyurl.com/22j7wx

jim

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-bounces+jim.croft=gmail.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:linux-bounces+jim.croft=gmail.com at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
Sakari Mattila
Sent: Monday, 17 September 2007 2:03 PM
To: linux at lists.samba.org
Cc: smattila at tpg.com.au
Subject: [clug] Re: Software Feedom Day - Linux problem-solving guide
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ian and others,

The problems you listed are universal. I have solved these
by changing hardware or brutely hacking code. Nowadays
it is easy to check compatibilty with live CDs.

There is need for what-to-do-if-it-does-not-run guide for
common distros. I recently had problems with too new
hardware, looked around tens of URLs, left questions on
some list, etc., but without useful reply.

My advice for would be Linux users has been:
1. get widely used motherboard with well-known chipset
2. get nVidia graphics
3. check it from Linux compatibility lists (one letter may make big
difference)
4. try it with live CD

What seems to be needed is a list with chip (IC) codes, which are
compatible and which are not. This is a problem with digital television
cards. There are only a few ICs, but nobody seems to exactly know
which ones are supported, which ones are not.

I am fairly seasoned to write simple guides on complex subjects,
but haven't got detailed information. My inside knowledge is distro 0.88
level, after 1992 I just have been using it (Red Hat, SuSE).

One more thing to add to the list:  d) how to use Unix/Posix/Linux
command line commands.  To help about that I tried to write a simple
guide, google <"command line commands" Mattila>, the URL is very long.
The original text at UC is gone.

BTW.  Found recently good instructions with multi-boot Linux, Win XP,
Vista:  http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

Sakari

Quoting  Ian Bardsley <ifb777 at tpg.com.au>

> Subject: [clug] Re: Software Feedom Day

> I spoke at length to 8 people during my time on the stand.  All of these
> had tried Linux in various flavours and all had failed to pursue open
> source software because of:
>
> a.  Problems with hardware not working
> b.  Difficulty with understanding Partitioning, File Structure and File
> Navigation.
> c.  Accessing software that isn't installed by default when the chosen
> distro is installed.

Sakari Mattila
+61 408 533474 (SMS)
smattila at ieee.org or smattila at tpg.com.au