[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Thu Sep 13 14:09:52 GMT 2007

All in all, I think the real point is, weather we like it or not, a
"Linux" systems covers more than just GNU and Linux. The real reason
"Linux" Systems are called Linux is the human propensity for laziness.
Its easier to say "I run linux on my boxen" and the English language is
too flexible and adaptable to drive the laziness out.

True, the lay-people don't fully understand how many
groups/communities/developers etc. are involved in the "Linux" distro
they go searching for on the net. I am sure it would blow alot of them
away to know that literally 100s of communities contribute to "Linux".
To them its just "Linux", a tag, a name, a convenient handle to describe
that which has become synonymous with geeks and data centres.

Those of us who do understand the universe that encompasses GNU Linux
realise that it is more than just "Linux". But it all comes down to
language. I think RHS will be disappointed to find that the society the
uses brb, lol, ur, and kewl will never use GNU Linux... We are stuck
with Linux... Until something else come along. Remember people don't say
I run windows vista business on their PC, they say I run Windows, or
they say I run Vista.

BTW, Sam.... emacs doesn't need a text editor... the world has vi. ;)

Regards

Randall.