[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 11:33:34 GMT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:16:30PM +1000, David Tulloh wrote:
> Pietro Abate wrote:
> >To Call a system Gnu/Linux is a way let people know that the system is
> >composed only by the kernel (linux) but also by other application such
> >as the gnu platform. In fact debian calls its system as Debian Gnu/Linux
> >to state that yes, the system is based on Gnu/Linux but also that is
> >kept together by the debian system/community.
> Language evolves, Linux has evolved to means the whole system rather
> than simply the kernel.  These days when people want to refer to the
> kernel they generally state "The Linux Kernel".  If Hurd ever becomes
> mainstream I'm sure we will see Hurd Linux or The Linux Hurd Kernel used
> in many of the media sites.

Yes, but sometimes it evolves in the wrong direction. Many times
literate people say that journalist (even technical journalists ahahah
:) ) are very slow to keep up and to learn how to use the correct
jargon.  Of course the reason is clear. Using a technical jargon
excludes the masses from understanding even simple concepts. However not
for this reason that literate people (as members of this list) should
make the same mistake and misinterpret RHS words.

On one hand he is a geek and prefers to use a technical language, on the
other hand RHS is trying to brand the FSF software in a certain way. The
second aspect is the more important. If we agree with the
social/economical ideals of the FSF, then we should put an effort to
help the FSF to brand its platform in this way. If we disagree, then is
correct to call things in a different way, the same way M$ tried for
years with their "get the facts" campaign ...

Geeks are learning the ways of marketing :)

pp

--
++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++