[clug] Kernels are easy, ls is the hard part!

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Sep 13 11:16:30 GMT 2007

Pietro Abate wrote:
> To Call a system Gnu/Linux is a way let people know that the system is
> composed only by the kernel (linux) but also by other application such
> as the gnu platform. In fact debian calls its system as Debian Gnu/Linux
> to state that yes, the system is based on Gnu/Linux but also that is
> kept together by the debian system/community.
I think that it's worth noting that the FSF sponsored Debian for it's
second year of existence, I'm not aware of any other distros that use
the GNU/Linux tag.

Language evolves, Linux has evolved to means the whole system rather
than simply the kernel.  These days when people want to refer to the
kernel they generally state "The Linux Kernel".  If Hurd ever becomes
mainstream I'm sure we will see Hurd Linux or The Linux Hurd Kernel used
in many of the media sites.

David