[clug] Samba smb.conf Question

min2 mchahal at excite.com
Sat Sep 8 04:13:09 GMT 2007

Hello, I am trying to setup samba with share security and have the contents
public/read-only but have a user that can map to this share from a windows
box with full read/write privledges?  I have a user named "media" which is
in the group "media".  The user media was also added via smbpasswd -a with
the same password.  I try to map a drive from windows xp with the
credentials but get access denied.  The directory I am sharing
(/mnt/sda1/test) was chmod 775 with media as the owner and group.  Here is
my smb.conf file.

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = AREA51
security = share
encrypt passwords = true

[test]
comment = AREA51 File Server
path = /mnt/sda1/test
write list = @media
public = yes
read only = yes
force directory mode = 0775
force create mode = 0775

I am pretty new to samba so please be detailed in your response.  Thanks :-)