[clug] Software Freedom Day CDs

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 4 02:15:51 GMT 2007

Hi everyone,

I've just received our parcel of shirts, balloons, posters and most
importantly CDs to give away.  This year we've got a grand total of 30
Ubuntu 7.04 CDs (intel architecture, presumably 32-bit) and five Open
CDs - this is way less than last year because of the large response
Software Freedom Day has received around the world.  However, judging
from how we went at the Careers market, those will go in about 14.7
seconds  We would ideally need around 1000 CDs to give out on the day,
but that would cost around $400 to buy from Harris Technology or
similar.  There's a better way.

What I'm proposing is that we pool our money and then go to the swap
meet on the weekend and get the best price we can for as many CDs as
possible.  I'd prefer the ones you can print on because I think they
look better than an anonymous gold CD with a title scrawled on it, and I
think if we front up with a bulk order they'll give us a good price.
I'm happy to take IOUs to be collected at the CLUG PSIG or main meetings
- before or after the event - but I'd be happier with cash in my hand.
A hundred CDs costs around $25-$30 at the swap meet,

So please email me (privately or on-list), SMS or phone me on 0422 392
081, or phone me on 6251 5257 (h) or 6125 0643 (w) if you'd like to
donate money to purchase CDs for Software Freedom Day.  Please get back
to me by *this* *Friday* - the 8th of September - even if you're just
promising an IOU, because I intend to go to the swap meet on Saturday
the 9th.  If you'd like to also come along with me on that swap meet and
provide a bit more clout to our request, then that'd be great too!

I also need people to burn the CDs and print the labels on them, so
email me if you can do that too.  On Saturday afternoon I'll go around
dropping CDs off to people, and if you can't make it to the PSIG and
aren't coming to help with the stall on Saturday 15th then I'll pick
them up off you later next week too.

So if you can do any of this, or would like to help in any other way,
please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Paul