[clug] wireless broadband in canberra

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:06:35 GMT 2007

I have it working on debian and ubuntu - only caveat is that you are
restricted to 2.6.18 because any later kernels lockup hard in the usb
serial module within about 20 seconds of connecting. Essentially the
device looks like both a usb serial modem (actually 2 modems) and a
cdrom drive containing the windows software. Earlier kernels get
confused by this weird cdrom devices.

Otherwise the devices are fairly good - speeds top off at about
60kbytes/s which is about a third of normal adsl performance. Sometimes
the modem crashes and needs to be rebooted (unplugged and replugged into
the usb port).

A possibly better alternative is to get the pcmcia modem and buy a 3g
linksys router (which has a pcmcia port to take the card). Then you dont
have to have your pc on all the time and configure routing/iptables etc.

Michael.