[clug] Networking problem in Ubuntu Feisty

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 08:38:08 GMT 2007

On 10/9/07, Francis Whittle <fj.whittle at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're using udev (highly likely with ubuntu), there's a possibility
> that something has messed up during network device pinning.
<snip>

I took a look in /etc/udev/rules.d but none of the .rules filenames appear
to contain the magic -net bit. Still, I won't be surprised if it's udev
oddness.

Anyway, the prizewinner in this case was Bob, who pointed out the bleedin'
obvious and I'm grateful to him for that.

The clue was ifconfig -a

And I'll confess here and now that I didn't think it would actually help
because I'd convinced myself that I'd already ifconfigged until the cows
came home but I can acknowlwdge how wrong I was.

ifconfig -a revealed that the system knows about eth0, eth2 and lo. And eth2
seems to have interrupt 11.

mc at alloy:~$ sudo dhclient eth2
Password:
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 134993416
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth2/00:e0:4c:ef:12:aa
Sending on   LPF/eth2/00:e0:4c:ef:12:aa
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth2 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on eth2 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.102 -- renewal in 8990 seconds.

Yay, I have network! So thanks Bob. There's probably still an underlying HAL
/ udev / et al cause for the problem, which I may or may not track down and
kill before a dist-upgrade. For now, I'm back to seeing the outside world
via my main desktop PC.

Thanks to all who contributed to this. When Chris Smart gets back from
USAnia he'll be pleased to have his USB - Ethernet adaptor back too. I must
snag one at a computer market, they're an easy way to get a wired network
going when there's no network card.

Cheers,
MC