[clug] Linux in education

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Oct 9 00:42:12 GMT 2007

On 08/10/2007, at 18:24 , Steve Walsh wrote:

> Hitting kids in primary school, where their teachers are already
> overworked and undertrained, does get them into Linux, but hitting
> them when they're in College and/or Uni is, in my opinion, the best
> time to get the FOSS hook into it.

"Give me the child for the first seven years, I will give you the man."
   -- Variously attributed to fascist dictators, religious nutters and
      pop psychologists.

I believe Primary school is too late to expose people to your
preferred ideology.

For some, discovering an open source operating system after using
Windows for years will be like being released from prison. For
others, it will be a too-disturbing alteration of their perceived
reality.

To paraphrase The Matrix...

> (In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue CD.)
>
> Morpheus: You take the Windows Vista installer CD and the story
> ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
>
> (a red CD is shown in his other hand)
>
> You take the Debian installer CD and you stay in Wonderland and I
> show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Alex

PS: for the record, I loved "The Matrix" as an interesting
philosophical question, and the other two movies in the trilogy as
interesting action movies.